Meet the craftswoman behind our newest iPhone cases: Lorna & The CARDcase
Lorna grew up in Burma. While studying Physics in college, she spent her spare time working as a sales rep for her parents' bean company. After graduating, she decided she too wanted to work for herself and opened up a small beauty supply store. Unfortunately, under the oppression of the Burmese government and their mismanagement of the country's currency, Lorna had to close her store and flee to Japan in order to make money to support her family, which had grown to three small kids. Lorna spent four years working in Japan as a waitress while teaching herself how to speak Japanese. With great sadness, she returned to Burma due to the unfortunate passing of her oldest son. Thankfully, by that point, her husband's siblings, who were already living in the US, were able to successfully petition for Lorna and her family to come over to the US as well. Eager for a new beginning, She packed up her family and took off for the famous Land of Opportunity, the USA.
Lorna arrived in California in 1998 with her husband, son, and daughter. She worked hard for 10 years doing data entry for West Coast Life Insurance. Unexpectedly she was laid off with dozens of other workers as the company moved jobs overseas to India. Lorna was crushed as she wasn't sure what she was going to do and couldn't afford to remain unemployed, luckily she found DODOcase through the Government Career Center. The job description sounded interesting so she walked into the DODOcase Dog Patch workshop with her resume in hand seeking a job. Lorna didn't know much about sewing or bookbinding, but she was willing to learn and work hard. She was excited to make things with her hands and learn a new craft and there began her career as a DODOcase Craftswoman. Today Lorna is an integral part of the team. She can help out in several different areas and is always thinking of new product ideas. Her daughter is currently studying at Brown University on a full scholarship and her son works as a manager at an international company in Japan.
1) How Long have you been working for DODOcase? I've been working for DODOcase for 3 years and 8 months.
2) Why do you like working for DODOcase? I love working for DODOcase because I believe in the company's values and philosophy.
3) When and why did you get into sewing? 2 years ago the Sewing department needed help, so I started working with them. I enjoyed it so much I asked to stay in that department.
4) What gave you the idea to make the phone case? I didn't like throwing away the extra leather scraps from the various DODOcase products, so I repurposed the extra leather for another design to reduce waste. I really wanted to make a case that fit the way I live my life. That's how I came up with The Lorna phone case. With the help of the DODOcase team, it really turned into something great!
5) What do you like to do for fun? I love to spend time with my family and friends. We mostly have parties and BBQ whenever we can. I also love to watch dramas and movies.
6) How did it feel when DODOcase went with your design? It was a big surprise! I was very humbled to think that DODOcase believed in my design. I just wanted to make something that could fit into my lifestyle and enjoy the way it looked.
7) How did it feel when DODOcase decided to name it after you? I never imagined anything would be named after me, so I can't even use words to describe how honored and happy I am about this opportunity.
8) What's your favorite part about being a person who makes beautiful products? I never really considered myself a very artistic person, so the fact that what I created can be beautiful, gives me a lot of hope and confidence in myself.