6 Steps to Help You Choose The Perfect iPad Case
When you invest $400-$1,300 in an iPad, you want to make sure it's well protected. A good iPad case keeps your device safe from scratches, drops, and other accidents.
But with so many different cases on the market, how do you know which one is right for you?
Here are six factors to keep in mind as you shop for an iPad case.
1. Know Which iPad You're Protecting
To start, you need to identify the type of iPad you have because you'll need to search for a case that's compatible with your iPad model. By doing so, you'll be sure that the case fits and offers the protection your device requires.
There are two specific terms you'll need to identify to make sure you're searching for the right case:
- Model name: The model name of an iPad refers to the specific generation or release of the device; for example, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, etc.
- Model number: The model number, on the other hand, is a unique identifier that helps distinguish a particular iPad model from another. It looks something like "A1395".
How to Find Your iPad Model
There are a few different ways to identify which iPad you own.
The first way is to look at the back of your iPad. There should be a model number printed on the back near the bottom. This number can tell you which generation iPad you have as well as the specific model.
The second way to identify your iPad is by looking at the settings app. Go to Settings > General > About, and you should see your model listed there.
If you're still not sure which iPad you have, you can check out Apple's support site or contact Apple directly for help.
2. Find a Case That Fits Every Situation
Before you start looking for your perfect iPad case, you'll also need to consider:
- What activities will you be using your iPad for?
- How often will you be carrying your iPad?
- How important is style to you?
- Who's going to use the iPad?
- How will your lifestyle affect your decision?
Style vs. Protection
There are two main types of iPad cases on the market: those that emphasize style and those that emphasize protection. If you're not sure which type of case is right for you, consider your needs and priorities before making a decision.
- Stylish cases: These cases complement the look of your iPad or fit within a certain aesthetic. Keep in mind that these cases often sacrifice protection for design.
- Protective cases: These cases offer robust protection against drops for your device. However, these cases are often bulky or available in limited designs.
For example, if you're someone who is constantly on the go and needs to keep your iPad safe from bumps and scratches, then protection should be your top priority.
On the other hand, if you're someone who likes to show off their sense of style and doesn’t travel with your device, then you'll want to focus on finding a case that expresses your personality.
This Noblessa Leather iPad Case is designed to be a luxurious blend of style and protection. This hand-stiched leather case starts at $154.99.
Types of iPad Cases
Once you've considered your needs, lifestyle, and level of protection or style you want, you can start narrowing down your options. Here are a few of the most popular types of iPad cases:
- Shell Cases: These cases offer basic protection against scratches and bumps. They don't usually add a lot of bulk to your iPad, making them a good option if you're looking for something lightweight.
- Folio Cases: Folio cases offer more protection than shell cases, as they typically have a hard outer shell and a soft inner lining. They also usually include a built-in stand, which can be handy if you use your iPad for tasks like watching movies or working on projects.
- Keyboard Cases: If you do a lot of typing on your iPad, a keyboard case can be a lifesaver. These cases typically have a hard outer shell and a soft inner lining, with either a built-in Bluetooth keyboard or a place for one.
- Sleeves: A sleeve is a simple way to protect your iPad when you're not using it. Sleeves typically have a soft interior lining and a durable exterior shell.
Sleeves like this Durable Sleeve are built to protect your device when you’re not using it. This sleeve starts at $59.95 can has enough room to house your Apple Pencil and your keyboard.
3. Consider the Material
iPad cases come in a variety of materials, including leather, silicone, and plastic. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so think about what's important to you before making a decision.
We've put together this handy comparison chart so you can see the pros and cons of each material.
Leather or synthetic material
Silicone or Rubber
Aluminum or other metal
No matter which material you choose for your iPad case, it will ultimately come down to personal preference, needs, and budget.
4. Look at the Features
When looking for an iPad case, it is important to consider the available features and how the case works with the iPad's normal functions.
For example, some cases cover the iPad's camera, which can be frustrating if you want to take pictures or videos with your iPad.
You want to access all of the features of your iPad without having to remove the case. So , look for a case with cutouts for all ports, buttons, and cameras.
What Special Features Does the Case Offer?
Additionally, each case comes with its own set of unique features, and some may be better suited for certain activities. Here are some special features you might want to look for when shopping for an iPad case:
- Protection level: Even if you've opted for a stylish case, you'll want to ensure the materials used to create it offer some protection.
- Weight: If you plan on carrying your iPad around with you all day, you will want a case that is lightweight and easy to carry.
- Additional Storage: If you're going to use an Apple Pencil or other accessories, you may want to be able to store those accessories with your device.
- Viewing options: Some iPad cases give you the option to adjust your iPad's orientation horizontally or vertically, making it easy to use the iPad as a reader or for work.
- Warranty: Some cases come with a full or limited warranty to protect you if something happens to your case.
- Waterproof: If you are planning on using your iPad near water or in humid conditions, make sure that your case can protect it from the elements.
5. Consider Your Budget
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing an iPad case, but one of the most important is your budget. With so many options available, it's easy to get caught up in the hype and spend more than you need to.
iPad cases range in price from around $10 to $100 or more. Choosing the case that fits your needs and your budget can be difficult, but here's what we recommend:
- Decide what features are most important to you. Certain features increase the price exponentially.
- Compare prices. Just make sure the materials and features match up to the case you want.
- Consider alternative materials. The more durable and luxurious the materials are, the higher the price tag will be.
- Look at different brands. There are many different brands of iPad cases on the market, and some are definitely more expensive than others.
- Don't forget about sales and discounts.
With these tips in mind, you should be able to find an iPad case that fits your needs and your budget. Don't be afraid to shop around and compare prices until you find the perfect case.
6. Read Reviews Before You Buy
The best way to find out if a case will fit your needs and style preferences is by reading reviews. With so many models and features available on the market, it can be overwhelming to decide which one is best for you.
Seeing what other users have to say about a particular case before you make your purchase helps you learn about the pros and cons of each option and get a sense of the overall quality of the product.
Additionally, reviews can give you an idea of how easy or difficult a particular case may be to use, letting you make an informed decision about which case is right for you and your iPad.
If you keep these considerations in mind, you're sure to choose the best iPad case for your needs. And once you have the perfect case, you can enjoy your iPad worry-free.
Want to Make a Custom iPad Case?
Making a custom iPad case is a great way to protect your investment and show off your personality. And there's no better place to make a custom case than at DODOcase.
The folks over at DODOcase have been making hand-crafted custom cases for years, and they know exactly how to make a great case for your iPad.
Their cases are crafted by local artisans and made from durable materials that will protect your iPad from bumps and scratches.
Plus, DODOcase offers over 400,000 customization options, so you can make a case that's truly unique. You can choose your own material, colors, and even add your own personal monogram.